Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program
The City of Melvindale is responsible for administering the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program. The CDBG Program is an annual grant that the City is eligible to receive from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development through the Wayne County Community Development Division.
Each year, the City of Melvindale determines potential projects pursuant to Federal guidelines that meet at least one of the following objectives:
- To provide benefits of using CDBG funding directly to persons of low and moderate income and/or to areas where 51% of the residents are of low and moderate income.
- To facilitate and/or support private (re)investment and development within Melvindale.
- To reduce negative environmental impacts.
- To conserve and improve older housing.
- To maintain a high level of performance in the management of all CDBG and non-federally funded programs, while offsetting administrative costs to the General Fund.
- To improve park facilities.
- To provide services to senior citizens and other specifically identified groups of residents as defined by Federal law.
- To comply with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as they apply to public places and services.
The City considers projects that meet one of the above objectives. A public hearing is held, usually January or early February, to receive public comments regarding the proposed projects prior to the final slate of projects being submitted to Wayne County in the form of an application.
After projects have been approved at the municipal level and forwarded to Wayne County, the monies to support the projects are usually made available by, but not before, July 1. The program year runs through June of the next year.
The CDBG funds are used to revitalize neighborhoods, expand affordable housing and economic opportunities, and/or improve community facilities and services that principally benefit low and moderate income persons in qualified income areas of the City.
Wayne County Homebuyer Program
Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency administers the Wayne County Homebuyer Program for first-time homebuyers. For more information or to sign up for the First Time Homebuyer Program, please contact:Wayne Metro Homeownership Assistance Program2121 Biddle, Suite 102Wyandotte, MI 48192734.284.6999www.waynemetro.orgCLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD ADDITIONAL INFORMATION