Building Department

Department of Health and Building Safety

IMPORTANT: Click here for Official COVID-19 Quarantine Response Initiative & current procedures

Welcome to the City of Melvindale Building Department. Our goal is to work to enforce the highest safety standards for the functional care, installation, repair, and maintenance of all structures. The Building Department serves the needs of residents, commercial property owners, and developers. We are dedicated to promoting and preserving the safety of Melvindale citizens.

Builders, homeowners and contractors deserve a professional experience from every member of our staff. We pride ourselves on educating all customers we come in contact with. The Building Division is responsible for ensuring the life safety of all persons in the City of Melvindale relating to the construction of all commercial and residential structures, through enforcing compliance of the current codes. This is achieved by examination of submitted plans and conducting necessary inspections to assure compliance with all City of Melvindale building codes and ordinances.

Make Building Department payments here:


3100 Oakwood Boulevard
Melvindale, MI 48122
P: 313.429.1060
F: 313.383.3993
Building Department Clerks:  [email protected]
Building Official:  [email protected]

Table of Contents

1. Permits

This is where property owners and contractors can obtain the forms for all permits needed to do work on their homes or businesses in the City. Permits are good for 6 months from issuance date.

Any property owner contracting work should always check to be sure that their contractor is State licensed, City registered and has the required permit. As part of the City’s registration, all contractors shall provide a performance bond and proper insurance coverage which will help protect the homeowner.  The Building Department annually registers all licensed contractors who intend to work in the City.  Registration forms available below.

Building Permit Applications

– General Building ⤓

  • Roof/Accessory Structures/General
  • Sign permits must include plans

– Fence ⤓

– New Construction/Addition ⤓

  • Plan Review Required (See section 3 Plan Reviews.)

– Zoning Permit (cement) ⤓

  • Requires preapproval by inspector
  • Form and final inspections are required for all cement.
  • Call 1-800-MISS-DIGG before you dig.

– Special Use Permit ⤓

  • City wide permits/dumpster tracking/etc
  • Contact our office if you think your permit might fall under special use

Plumbing Permit Applications

– General Plumbing Permit Application ⤓

– Sewer Repair Application ⤓

  • May require escrow

Mechanical Permit Application

All furnace installations require both a mechanical installation and electrical hook-up permit and final inspection. Emergency work may be done without a permit, but must be permitted within 48 hours, weekends and holidays will be taken into consideration.

– Mechanical Permit Application ⤓

– Furnace Safety Test General Form ⤓

Electrical Permit Application

– Electrical Permit Application ⤓

  • Note, some items listed on the permit may not be completed by a homeowner.  A licensed contractor is required to complete the work.

– Home Owner Application Electrical Approval ⤓

“Section 23a of the state construction code act of 1972, 1972 PA 230, MCL 125.1523a, prohibits a person from conspiring to circumvent the licensing requirements of this state relating to persons who are to perform work on a residential building or a residential structure. Violators of section 23a are subjected to civil fines.”

Return to Top

2. Contractor Registration and Information

All contractors doing work, with or without the need for permit, within the city limits are required to be registered with the City of Melvindale Building Department.  The fee for all contractor registrations is $15.

– Building Contractor Registration ⤓

  • Covers: Building, Special Use, Fence, Sign, Zoning and some Miscellaneous Permits.
  • Expires 05/31

– Plumbing Contractor Registration ⤓

  • Covers: Plumbing, Sewer
  • Expires with License

– Mechanical Contractor Registration ⤓

  • Covers: Mechanical, Sprinkler
  • Expires with License

– Electrical Contractor Registration ⤓

  • Covers: Electrical
  • Expires at year end

– General Proxy Letter ⤓

  • Requires Notary.  Notary available at Melvindale City Hall. Fees may apply.

Return to Top

3. Plan Reviews

Plan Reviews may be submitted in person, digitally or by mail.  There is a two-week submission period for all plans submitted. A minimum of 3 plans should be provided.

Electrical – If submitting for electrical approval, specifications are required per current code.

Fire – Fire department applications should include a completed NFPA Fire Application

– Plan Review Application ⤓

– NFPA – Fire Application ⤓

For more information on Plan Review Submission see here: 🡕

Return to Top

4. Escrow/Bonds

Required before closing for all AS IS Sales of Property in Melvindale.

May be required for Sewer Repairs.

May be required for Engineering evaluation of projects.

Return to Top

5. Planning/Zoning Commission

Planning Commission Intent and Purpose: The purpose of a public hearing is for the Planning Commission to gather information about whether a proposed zoning or special use application meets certain standards. Written and oral testimony is invited from applicants, nearby property owners, and other interested persons. The Planning Commission then reviews the facts presented at the hearing and advises the City Council whether the application meets applicable ordinance requirements and planning guidelines. Applications should be submitted no later than 3 weeks before the scheduled Planning Commission Meeting.  The Planning Commission meets on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. if scheduled.  Applicants must submit plans for commercial building, change of an existing zoning classification, change of grade, lot split, lot consolidation, wireless antenna or tower, and any other commercial projects to be located within the City.

  • Application and Plans must be submitted by 12:00 pm fourteen (14) days prior to the Planning Commission Meeting:
  • Eight (8) sets of complete drawings
  • One (1) reduced set (11″ x 17″) of plans

– Site Plan Review Application ⤓

– Zoning Commission Board of Appeals ⤓

Areas of land are divided by appropriate authorities into zones within which various uses are permitted. Check out our zoning map.

– Zoning Map ⤓

Return to Top

6. Certificate of Compliance (Rental Inspection)

A Certificate of Compliance inspection is required every 2 years for all qualified rentals.  A property qualifies as a rental if individual(s) that do not include the owner of the property are occupying the premises.

– Certificate of Compliance Readiness Package ⤓

The Package above includes all of the individual forms as listed below.

– Landlords & Tenants A Practical Guide ⤓ (Wayne County pdf)

Rental Inspector contact request here: 🡕

Return to Top

7. Apartment Complex Inspections

Apartment Complex inspections are due every 2 years.  Contact the City of Melvindale Building Department to schedule your inspections.

Return to Top

8. Certificate of Occupancy (Sale Inspection)

A Certificate of Occupancy Inspection is REQUIRED PRIOR TO ALL SALES.

– Certificate of Occupancy Readiness Package ⤓

The Package above Includes all of the individual forms as listed below.

Return to Top

9. Vacancies

All vacant properties require registration.  The building department completes routine checks on all vacant properties.

– Vacancy Application ⤓

– Vacancy fees ⤓

Section 5-358 Registration

Owners of vacant property shall register such properties with the city building department and pay fees as set forth within Thirty (30) days. The duty to register an abandoned structure shall not require prior notice to the owner by the city. Registration of an abandoned structure does not preclude the city from taking appropriate actions to secure the property or to issue orders to repair or abate a dangerous, unsafe or unlawful condition or from acting to eliminate an emergency hazard to public health and safety. Properties that are vacant at the time of the adoption of this ordinance must register within thirty (30) days of the date this ordinance takes effect.

Return to Top

10. Fees

– City of Melvindale Building Department Detailed Fee Schedule ⤓

– Email Applications and Online Payment Guide ⤓

Payments may be made in person, by mail, by phone or online here: https://bsaonline.comOnlinePayment/OnlinePaymentSearch?PaymentApplicationType=7&uid=387 🡕 .  Payment Methods accepted by the City of Melvindale Building Department are:

Cash  *Do not send by mail.

  • Check
  • Money Order
  • Credit Card  *Credit card payments add a 3% fee with a $2 minimum.

Phone Number: 1-855-414-9017

Return to Top

11. Enforcements

Court and Tickets may be handled at the following location:

24th District Allen Park/Melvindale District Court
6515 Roosevelt Road
Allen Park, MI 48101-2524

Return to Top

12. Scheduling

Permit and General Inspections

Fees must be paid prior to attempting to schedule inspections.

All General, Permit and Occupancy inspections are scheduled in a block of time as listed below:

Wednesday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM

Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM

Excludes major holidays

Permit and General Inspection Results

Inspection results are available fastest by email.  If you do not have email, verbal results and documents pertaining to inspections will be available the next business day after 1:00 PM by calling 313-429-1060.


Rental Inspection Scheduling

Option 1:

Rental inspection may now be scheduled with a clerk at the Building Department 7 days or more in advance for the times as listed below:

Monday  9:00 AM – 1:00 PM and 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM

Wednesday  9:00 AM – 1:00 PM and 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM

Friday  9:00 AM – 1:00 PM

Option 2:


The inspector will contact you for scheduling at a later date.  If you wish to have the inspector contact the tenant directly for scheduling please confirm this verbally with the clerk during application.

* Application and fee payment are required prior to all scheduling.

Rental Inspection Results

Provided by Rental Inspector at the inspection.

Return to Top


The City Clerk’s Office is the coordinator for all Freedom of Information Act requests. Mail the application to the City Clerk Office at 3100 Oakwood Blvd, Melvindale MI 48122, deliver in person, or fax it to us at (313) 383-3993. You will be advised of the cost involved.

Click Here for FOIA Procedures and Guidelines ⤓

Click Here for FOIA Public Summary (Questions and Answers) ⤓

Click Here for FOIA Request Form ⤓

Click Here for Affidavit of Indigency if you are unable to pay or are receiving public assistance ⤓ – If qualified, you may receive a waiver of the first $20 of fees.

Return to Top

14. Notices

Building Department Notices – Updated 03/16/2021

08/19/2020:  Moratorium on Pharmacies and Auto Related Facilities – Resolution 20-08-181 ⤓

10/07/2020:  Commercial and Industrial Vacancy Fee Schedule ⤓ – Updated 10/20/2020

03/03/2021:  Medical and Recreational Marijuana moratorium – Resolution 21-03-046 ⤓

10/06/2021:  Apartment Unit No Show Fee Resolution – 21-10-194 ⤓

01/18/2023: Moratorium on Pharmacies and Auto Related Facilities – Resolution 23-01-011 ⤓


The City of Melvindale Building Department enforces the following State of Michigan Codes:

2015 Michigan Uniform Energy Code – Commercial

2015 Michigan Building Code

2015 Michigan Mechanical Code

2015 Michigan Plumbing Code

2016 Michigan Rehabilitation Code   

2017 Michigan National Electrical Code

2015 Michigan Residential Code

2015 Michigan Energy Code – Residential

(chapter 11 in residential code)

2015 International Property Maintenance Code


Address Changes

It is the responsibly of the Property Owner and or Property Management to update their mailing address within 30 days of a change of address.  Addresses must be changed at the Assessing Department and the Building Department.

Return to Top

16. Contact Us

3100 Oakwood Boulevard
Melvindale, MI 48122

Phone: 313-429-1060
Fax: 313-383-3993


Building Department Clerks:  [email protected]

Building Official:  [email protected]

Return to Top

Department supported by:

11800 Merriman Rd., Ste 510840
Livonia, MI 48151

Phone: (734) 746-5020

[email protected] 🡕