City Clerk

The City Clerk’s Office is the keeper of records for the entire city.

Click Here for the Notice of Registration for the 8/6/2024 State Primary Election

Click Here for the Unofficial Election Results for the 2/27/2024 Presidential Primary

Click Here to view information on Early Voting

If you move within the City of Melvindale, you must update your address.  You may do this at our City Clerk’s Office or the Secretary of State’s office when you change your address on your driver’s license.

If you move to a new city, you must register to vote in that city.  You may do this at your new jurisdiction’s City Clerk’s Office or the Secretary of State Office when you change your address on your driver’s license.

All Michigan voters must use the same residential address for your voter registration and driver’s license.  Consequently, if you change your voter registration address your driver’s license address will change.  The reverse is true as well.  Voter registration information may be obtained on the state web site at

City Clerk’s Office
3100 Oakwood Blvd.
Melvindale, MI 48122

P: 313.429.1055

Option 2: Licensing/Ordinances/Accounts Payable
Option 3: Licensing/Ordinances/Employment
Option 4: Voter’s Registration/Elections

Every Michigan voter who offers to vote in the polls must comply with the requirement by showing picture identification or signing an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of picture identification. (See MCL 168.523 for voter identification requirement)

Registering to Vote Requirements:

  • a U. S. Citizen
  • at least 18 years of age by election day
  • a resident of Michigan

Ways to register to vote:

  • At the Melvindale City Clerk’s Office 3100 Oakwood Blvd., or at any Secretary of State Branch offices located throughout the State .
  • At the specified agency for clients receiving services through the Family Independence Agency, Department of Community Health, Michigan Jobs Commission   and some offices of the Commission for the Blind.
  • At the military recruitment offices for persons enlisting in the armed forces.
  • By obtaining and completing a Mail Voter Register Application to the election official as directed on the application
  • Application may be obtained at

Voting at the Polls

Your voter identification card indicates the precinct location where you vote for all elections. If you do not have a voter registration card or would like a new card please contact the Clerk’s Office. The following are the city election precincts:

PRECINCT 1: Allendale Elementary, 3201 Oakwood Blvd.
PRECINCT 2: Melvindale Civic Center, 4300 S. Dearborn St.
PRECINCT 3: Allendale Elementary, 3201 Oakwood Blvd.
PRECINCT 4: Allendale Elementary, 3201 Oakwood Blvd.
PRECINCT 5: Melvindale Civic Center, 4300 S. Dearborn St.

Voting Absentee

You may apply for an absentee ballot at the clerk’s office by mail, fax or request an application by phone or e-mail. All ballots must be back to the clerk’s office by 8:00 PM on Election Day. If you would like to be placed on a permanent list for an absentee ballot for all elections, contact the City Clerk’s Office.

Voting with Assistance

Federal and state laws require every city to provide accessible registration and voting locations for voters who are disabled. If you require voting assistance, ask the election workers for help and two inspectors will assist you.

If you have any questions regarding your voter registration, please call the City Clerk’s Office at 313.429-1055 ext. 1103

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

The City Clerk’s Office is the coordinator for all Freedom of Information Act requests. Mail the application to the City Clerk’s Office at 3100 Oakwood Blvd, Melvindale MI 48122, deliver it to us in person, or fax it to us at (313) 383-3993. You will be advised of the cost involved.

PLEASE NOTE: When submitting requests for records pertaining to the Melvindale Fire Station with the City of Dearborn, please use THEIR request for Public Records form which can be found under “online services” on City of Dearborn’s website at

Click Here for FOIA Procedures and Guidelines

Click Here for FOIA Public Summary (Questions and Answers)

Click Here for FOIA Request Form

Click Here for Affidavit of Indigency if you are unable to pay or are receiving public assistance.  If qualified, you may receive a waiver of the first $20 of fees.

Animal Licenses

All dogs, 6 months of age or older, must be licensed and have a current rabies vaccination certificate. New residents must purchase licenses within 30 days of moving into the City. Current residents have until April 1st of each year to renew their license. The cost is $6.00 per year. Click Here for Dog License Application.

Business Licenses/Fees

All businesses must renew their licenses each year. Business license applications are available at the City Clerk’s Office. For more information regarding the fees and bonds required by the business licensing ordinances of the City of Melvindale: Fees & Bonds information

Garage/Yard Sale Licenses

The license fee is $5.00. Not more than two licenses shall be issued to any person or location within a calendar year. No license shall be issued for a period longer than four days. To download the Application for Garage and Yard Sales, click on the link below. A license from the City Clerk’s Office is required for Garage Sales or Yard Sales.

Download the Application for Garage Sales. Bring the completed application to the City Clerk’s Office to pay for and receive your license.

Enforcement and Complaints of Ordinances

Requests and complaints regarding ordinances are submitted at the City Clerk’s Office. The request/complaint will be forwarded to the proper department for resolution.

Employment Opportunities

When employment opportunities are available with the City, applications are made available at the City Clerk’s Office. Available jobs will also be posted in the newspaper, at City Hall, and on the city’s Facebook page.

Miscellaneous Items

The City Clerk’s Office has the following items available, and the cost associated with each.

  • Copies of Ordinances $1.00
  • Zoning Map $1.00

Compost Stickers

Residents can pick up a compost sticker at the City Clerk’s Office for your garbage can. They are provided by GFL Environmental.